Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday Night = Blog Night

Monday night has unofficially become the night that I usually end up blogging, but as I was thinking earlier in the day about what to write about, nothing really jumped out to me. Instead of just avoiding the blog altogether in favor of the second Hunger Games book (I do have a few guilty pleasures left after my New Year's purge), I decided to 1.) add some pics of JD which the blog has been sorely lacking and 2.) fill you in on my new baby "wish list" - a girl can dream, right? So, without further ado:



 

My little Rocketman. I'm not the photographer (and most likely never will be) that I wish I was. Most (all) of my pictures are taken with my iPhone, and it actually takes better pictures than our little point and shoot Kodak does anyway. Sadly, you will rarely be treated to any photographic genius on this blog. That being said, I think these shots turned out ok and capture JD pretty well. Playing with this cute little Radio Flyer Rocket out in our driveway is one of his new favorite pass times.


Here's JD and his friend, Penny. I know many of you probably already saw this on Facebook, but really? Can there be too much of this picture?? I think not. Penny has been coming over a morning or two a week while her mom and dad have a short overlap in their work schedules. Among her and JD's favorite things to do so far: scribble with crayons, hide in my closet and make no noise then start laughing wildly when I come check on them, see who can scream with the highest pitch, pop bubbles, play in JD's crib, and of course save time for some good old thumb sucking and belly pinching. When JD started this combo several months ago (he's never gotten attached to any kind of a security blanket, toy or pacifier - just the belly), I was totally fine with it, but I did wonder if it was a little strange. I have since noticed several other kiddos doing the same thing, though, so I guess it is not that crazy. And, as you can see, he's found a kindred spirit in Miss Penny. I noticed them both running out of steam towards the end of the morning and so I turned on some cartoons. A few minutes later, I glanced over and saw this. A moment I am sure will come back to haunt them in years to come! =)
And P.S. Who would have thought that caring for two almost two year olds, is actually easier than caring for just one?? It's true.


This one's pretty self explanatory. Putting my boys to work. JD is really into the whole "helping" thing right now. Think it will last long enough to actually be helpful?




Here's JD with another little buddy who we totally wish we got to see more!! So far it's just been once a year at Christmas time. Jake is our South Carolina friends, Duncan and Sarah Ashlin's, 15 month old son. So far, their relationship revolves around food. JD has the snacks and Jake wants 'em! It works out well as one of JD's favorite things to do is feed others.

That's all for JD at the moment. I will try to do better on the kid front from here on out. But on to my wish list. I'll abbreviate. =)
The Bob Duallie. How do people afford $650 strollers? That's not to say I wouldn't get my money's worth out of this baby. Needless to say, I'll soon be scouring Craigslist on a minute by minute basis hoping to snatch up one of these sweet rides for my chillins.

 On a related note, how do people afford $200 diaper bags/purses? Saw this Storksak beauty at Buy Buy Baby. Time to start saving my fun money.  
I've heard from alot of ladies that the ERGObaby carrier is their favorite. And I have noticed many a baby-wearing, Austin mom with one strapped on. Pretty sure I will be getting one of  these. I do have the BabyBjorn but remember JD growing out of it pretty fast and this is something I could actually still carry JD in and you can wear it on your front, hip, or back. I also have a Moby, but that's just too much material to be dealing with in the 110 degree Austin summer. I'm not really the continual around the house baby-wearing type, but with a toddler in tow I feel like this could come in pretty handy on outings. Now, usually they are plain old black or tan. But who can resist dropping an extra $50 just for the adorable Petunia Pickle Bottom print?

Here's the bright, cheery rug I found to be the focal point of the new decor for the kids' shared room. This, I actually found for very cheap at IKEA and it has inspired me on how I can make use of most everything that is already in there as well as a few other odds and ends that I already have. Stay tuned for before and after pics in the next couple months! =)
Now, just to be clear, I find most of the tons and tons and tons of baby paraphernalia that is out there extrememly superfluous, unnecessary, consumeristic, disturbing, and downright ridiculous (to name a few). In fact (and this literally just dawned on me so it hasn't been fully thought out or processed) it is almost like what Christmas has become in a way. Amidst all the shopping and traveling and eating and family drama and presents and Santas, no body remembers that Christmas is really about the fact that God sent His only SON to earth as a human baby who would grow up to show us how to bring about His Kingdom here on earth and then give His life to free us from death... And amidst all the wipe warmers, video monitors, designer furniture and clothes (which make a fashion statement about Mom and Dad not baby), pacifier cases, $650 strollers, $200 diaper bags, not to mention the toys (oh my goodness the toys!), no body remembers that people were having babies and raising children long before any of these things were invented. And dare I say?  It seems like maybe they grew up a little more responsible and a little less "entitled" than kids these days? And now that I've officially used the phrase "kids these days" it's time for me to get off my soap box.

But here's one more little bonus thing. Do try this at home. Your arms will hate me for it.



BA HAHAHAHAHA!

2 comments:

  1. Two IS easier than one because they entertain eachother. Potty training one while trying to nurse one is a different story lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not really looking forward to that... Is it bad that JD is almost two and I don't have a potty training plan? =)

      Delete