Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mexican Extravaganza

Ok, so maybe "extravaganza" is a bit of an overstatement, but it felt like an extravaganza compared to what I normally cook for dinner... It all started with some Hatch Chilis from Whole Foods. Every year around this time, there is a big "Hatch Chili Festival" going on at all the supermarkets. Everything from Hatch Chili Salsa to Hatch Chili Apple Pie to Hatch Chili Cheese Bread to Hatch Chili Fudge is featured. Basically, there is  a whole lot of this Hatch Chili Hype swirling around. We were at Whole Foods after a family run on Saturday and decided to splurge and spend a whopping  49 cents for three of these infamous Hatch Chilis. Today Jonathan came home early and took JD on a run, giving me the opportunity to make these Baked (Gluten Free!) Chiles Rellenos with Smoky Tomato Sauce.

First, you have to roast the chiles to get the skins off of course. So glad I have a gas stove! This smell definitely brought back childhood memories...


Then you make this sauted onion, zucchini, corn mixture and stir in some cheese which you then stuff into the chiles. After that, you dip them in egg and coat them with bread crumbs. Then bake at 425 for about 30 mins...


 While those were baking, I whipped up some refried beans and yellow rice along with the Smoky Tomato Sauce with chipotle and WA - LA! A delectable Mexican Extravaganza was ready for Jonathan and JD when they got home!


This was accompanied by an impomptu Strawberry Margarita (one all natural strawberry popsicle, juice from three limes, some agave, some tequila, ice and a splash of champagne - I'm not big on measurements - all blended up) for Jonathan and I and a limeade for the little man. It ended up being a little Wednesday night fiesta, reminding me how much I really do like to cook when I have a little less "help." =)

Meal time was promptly followed by bath/snuggle time for both kiddos, and who can resist naked babies?



Also, I am happy to report that
1. JD is once again sleeping like a champ for naps and night. I guess it just took him a week or two to get used to the whole new world of using the potty. Once again, consistency pays off...
and
2. My pre-pregnancy shorts fit again (if somewhat snugly)! Hallelujah!


4 comments:

  1. Oh wow - that food looks SO good - nice job. Looks like a magazine, and DEFINITELY merits the word "extravaganza"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious...Zac would be mildly envious of that meal. Also...are you guys going GF? I guess I missed that somewhere....
    AND...congrats on the shorts:) I completely "get it."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing that you aren't blogging anymore by your...umm...3 year absence. I just wanted to say hello though and that I hope you are doing well. I'm not at the Longing for Simplicity site anymore.
    http://www.lightineightblueeyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing that you aren't blogging anymore by your...umm...3 year absence. I just wanted to say hello though and that I hope you are doing well. I'm not at the Longing for Simplicity site anymore.
    http://www.lightineightblueeyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete